- Used Cars
- Sell Your Car
- New Vehicles
- About Us
- Contact Us
Frank Vos Motors was established by Mr Frank Vos in the early 1900’s. While the exact date is unknown, documentation exists dating back as early as 1928. A photograph of the dealership with a thatch roof and 13 1927 Chevrolets parked outside indicates that the business existed before this. General Motors’ records only stretch as far back as 1929 starting shortly after the manufacturing operation in Port Elizabeth was opened.
Prior to this Chevrolets were imported by Stuttaford Van Lines. The business was passed on to Mr Vos’ son-in-law Attie Koorts who in turn sold it to Doug Grieve and his father-in-law Gustav Breusing in 1957. Doug had been a Spitfire pilot in WW2 and then qualified as a Chartered Accountant in Johannesburg. Having met and married Gustav’s daughter Audrey, he joined the Williams Hunt group gaining experience in the motor industry first as accountant and later as dealer principal.
Gustav had been born and grew up in Worcester, his father Herman having owned a cycle business in the town. But with the advent of the so called “Horseless Carriages” he soon moved in the automotive industry. Herman also had the honour of owning the first car in the town, a Benz with tiller steering. His second car, a 1902 Wolseley not only still exists, but it is in running order and with its base being the Crank Handle Club in Cape Town, it still makes the odd excursion to our town.
Gus joined him in the business until retiring at the ripe old age of 43! Gus and his wife Eileen then moved to Johannesburg to be closer to their only daughter but the calling to return to the Cape was strong and after investigating several motor dealerships that were on the market he and Doug decided on Worcester.
Franks Vos Motors is now owned and run by Doug’s son Andrew who after completing his BCom at the University of Cape Town decided to move back to Worcester in 1993. He is married to Nikki and has 3 children – Michaela and twins Caitlin and Douglas.